Port of Mongla
It was formerly located at Chalna, about 11 miles (18 km) upstream on the Pusur River, but it is now located 48 km south of Khulna city, as established on 11 December 1954. The Port is surrounded as well as well protected by the Sundarban mangrove forest. The name Mongla originated from Mongla River presently known as Mongla Nulla. Mongla River originated from Pussur and Rampal is situated beside Pussur. The anchorage was shifted to Mongla in 1954 as the place could accommodate sea-going vessels with greater draughts. During the Pakistan period, the administration of the port was under a port director, whose main office was at Khulna.
The port is situated at the confluence of the Pashur River and the Mongla River. It lies about 62 miles (100 km) north of the Bay of Bengal and is connected to the major inland river ports and to the rail terminal at Khulna. It is very near to Sundarbans. Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) and Haldia in India and Mongla and Chittagong in Bangladesh are the principal seaports on the world's largest Ganges delta.The port has trade links with almost all major ports of the world, although vessels arriving here are mostly from ports of Asia, the Middle East, Australia, Europe and North America and the ships rarely come to Mongla from the countries of Latin America or Africa.